Spokesman Mustafa Bali said the SDF had caught several militants trying to flee among the civilians.
The jihadists are putting up stiff resistance and had sought to counter-attack again on Monday morning, according to Mustafa Bali, head of the SDF media office.
SDF fighters had so far seized 41 positions but had faced counter attacks early on Sunday that had been repelled, Mustafa Bali, head of the SDF media office, told Reuters.
Up to 600 jihadists could still remain inside, most of them foreigners, according to SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali.
SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali told AFP: “The battle has started.” “This battle will be sealed in the coming days,” he added.
READ ALSO: Nobody can accurately predict presidential poll winner —Ekweremadu SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali told AFP, “The battle has started.” Bali said there could be up to 600 ISIS fighters still inside the pocket, most of them foreigners.
SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali told AFP: “The battle has started.” Bali said there could be up to 600 IS fighters still inside the pocket, most of them foreigners.
“The battle will be launched this evening and its mission will be to eliminate the last remnants of the terrorist organisation,” Mustafa Bali, the head of the SDF media office, said, describing it as the “last battle”.
SDF spokesperson Mustafa Bali said Islamic State fighters were now confined to a pocket of just 5-6 square km by the Euphrates River.